My Birth Story

(Without going into any gory details…)

On Tuesday, May 31, I mentioned that I thought I was going to go into labor earlier than my due date of June 8th because of how I had been feeling the day before on Memorial day and my co-worker told me that first time mom’s go past their due date and I had PLENTY of time before the baby was born.  Charlie and I laughed that night and said that if I go earlier than my due date that I would just tell people that the baby was enjoying the rest of the third trimester on the outside, but that he’s not actually born yet.

Anyhow, I was not looking forward to work the next day because it was going to be hot, busy, and VERY active… since I had been feeling quite uncomfortable, I was hoping to be able to take as many breaks as possible so I wouldn’t be too uncomfortable.  I woke up at 3:30 am with an tight crampy feeling in my back and gut.  I wasn’t sure what it was so I got up to use the restroom and then sat down at the computer, just in case I was lucky and it was a contraction.  In the next hour I had 4 more contractions so I woke up Charlie and we waited until 6:00 so I could call out of work.  Then we called Labor and Delivery around 7:00 and from what I told them (contractions about 10 minutes apart), they told me to wait until my doctor’s office opened at 8:00.  So I did.

My doctor had me come right in and we got there about 8:30.  When I got there they were going to weigh me and do a normal visit.  On the way to the scale I had a contraction and had to brace myself on a door frame.  They moved me right into the examining room and the doctor came in and I was 7-8cm dilated… I was sent right over to the hospital to have my son!

I got over the hospital and in my room right about 9:00.  I chose not to get an epidural because I didn’t want a slower progressing labor and I wanted my baby more alert when he was born.  My nurse was named Marilyn and she was just great.  She helped me get into my gown and made me feel like she was happy to be there with me.  Charlie and Marilyn coached me through the entire process reminding me to breathe and to relax.  Marilyn actually commented at the end that Charlie was one of the best coaches she had ever seen, but I’m not really all that surprised.

While at the hospital they asked if I wanted an epidural because I didn’t have much of a window to get one, but I decided to turn it down.  It was painful, but because I chose to forgo the epidural, I was able to walk around and sit on a birthing ball (just another name for an exercise ball) to labor.  While I sat on the ball Charlie provided counter-pressure during the contractions which helped me through.  I progressed a little bit, but got stuck at 9 cm for a couple of hours, but continued to work through the pain.  At about 12:30 I was finally at 10 cm and ready to push.  My doctor came in and Charlie and Marilyn helped me push and get through the most painful part of the process.

After about 25 minutes of pushing my son was born at 12:54 pm.  He was put on my chest and I felt an overwhelming sense of pride, love, and accomplishment.  I grew him for 9 months and he was here.  They cleaned him off and put a diaper on him and I got to breastfeed immediately and get some skin-to-skin time with my little man.  Charlie was in charge of pictures for the time being and he got some great ones.  While I was being cleaned up and taken care of another nurse came in and told Marilyn that it must be a great day to be born and wished her a Happy Birthday.  It was Marilyn’s birthday, too.

BBQ roomed in with Charlie and I and we stayed in the hospital for 48 hours being released around 1:00 on Friday, June 3rd.

Can you see the love?


~ by littleredcera on June 6, 2011.

2 Responses to “My Birth Story”

  1. What a great birth story… and wow no pain meds, I’m impressed! congrats again!

  2. Awesome.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: